Wednesday, December 31, 2008
June dragged out very slowly as deployment dates kept changing and my fellow wives with deployed husbands and I were all losing our sanity. Close friendships were formed through this time. We took the kids to the 4th of July celebration on base and got our home ready for Daddy to come home! Derrick returned back mid July and we even got to see his plane land on the runway! In August we had a princess party for Valerie's 3rd birthday. For our summer vacation, we took a 2.5 week trip, driving over to the mainland and all the way up to Germany and back. We visited Rome, Tuscany, Venice, and Naples in Italy. The best part was meeting my parents in Germany, in the Alps, for a week! We went to a castle in Austria, took a train up to the highest peak in the Germany Alps, and lots more! Garmich is a beautiful place.
This fall we celebrated the usual holidays, trick-or-treated, and spent time with friends. We found out that we are blessed with a 3rd pregnancy! Derrick has been on call every weekend since we returned from vacation in August so this has left us with absolutely no time or allowance for leaving the base area. We have been disappointed that we weren't able to do more here, and would have enjoyed it more had it been a shore duty. However, I am very greatful for the traveling experiences we have had. Being a Navy Wife is very hard but without it, we would not have the close friendships we now have, and the stamps on our passport! For that we are greatful. We are extremely glad to be moving back to the US in a couple short months so that our family is a regular part of our lives again!
For now, we spend the next couple months getting ready to move. We will be doing our packout in a couple weeks and shipping our van over as well. We close on our home on 1/30 and hope to fly out of here and move in by end of March, first week of April at the very latest. I have a vision of Easter morning in our new home!
Thank you for being a part of our 2008 and Happy New Year to you all!!
Saturday, December 27, 2008
After church, we came home and ate a very late dinner, italian style. The girls were excited to have their own sparkling champagne (aka grape juice). Every year I buy the girls Christmas PJ's in which they of course wear on Xmas Eve! We left our reindeer mix, carrots for the reindeer, and letters to Santa on the table.
Another tradition in our family is that Derrick reads, The Night Before Christmas before we tuck the girls in bed. Ellie didn't make it that far ;)
Christmas morning- We kept things pretty simple this year. We decided to stay in our PJ's and hang out, eating leftover lasagna and relaxing together as a family after weeks of craziness. It was nice to have a quiet Christmas with just us.
Just woke up:
Valerie's favorite gift this year was a sleeping beauty pony that walks/makes noises, very girly.
We spent the afternoon on the couch watching "It's a Wonderful Life" and letting the girls play. I found Valerie asleep in her room amongst this mess, which took her only about 45 minutes to create!
That evening, we drove about a half hour west of here to the little town of Caltagirone. They have a tradition of lining their famous steps with flowers and setting a nativity up top. We missed the live nativity by a couple days I think; however were glad to check it out! We ate a couple pastries on our way out of town and that ended our wonderful little family Christmas!
Monday, December 22, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
We're so excited!!!
(For those who asked, it's near Great America/far Northern Chicago area)
Friday, December 19, 2008
There was another offer submitted at the same time as ours (who said this was a buyer's market.. because so far every house I've had any interest in flies off the listings..). Apparently ours was higher, they countered to their terms and we accepted so we could be done with this fiasco. Poor Derrick has been running back and forth to work to use the scanner and phone (our phone line is also dead.) The italians say, "Va Bene!" (it's all good..) but we say no dude.. it's not all good... our phone hasn't been working for 2 weeks!!! Anyhow it is nearly 3:40 am here and we are still up. We had both accepted our terms, we signed the contract, scanned it back, the sellers had it, I was to mail the check in the morning.
I just got an email saying the first people showed back up and 'raised their offer significantly.' GREAT. I'll keep you posted. I am sure hating this house buying business.
On a good note.. baby #3 is well.. will post u/s pics tmrw. I am measuring an entire week behind what I thought I was, so there is some iffiness there as to my due date but healthy it seems.
Well we hope so, anyway! Our offer was accepted today and we close the very end of January! My parents looked at several houses for us last weekend (thank you!!) and they were all duds from our list. Break-ins, neon paint on the walls, mold, you name it. However they happened to see this one for sale next door and we had originally taken it off of our list due to the high taxes but have since realized we have to pay the price if we want our children in good schools! They loved it right away, it is super clean (white walls, white carpet.. we'll see how long that lasts) but move-in ready. It's 4br, 2.5 bath AND a playroom, a den, and a basement!!! It's absolutely perfect for us and we couldn't be more excited!!!
Wish us luck this month, cross your fingers that nothing weird happens to mess it up!
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Saturday we finished up our xmas shopping, went to an open house, a birthday party, and a party at church! It was a very busy day. Sunday after church we layed around in sweats, strung popcorn for the tree, and watched Christmas movies. My favorite being the Chevy Chase, "Christmas Vacation" and Derrick's is always "A Christmas Story." I think he secretly wants a bb gun.
I don't have any pictures without Ellie holding a cheeto. It's an obsession, and if she's at a party with an open bowl, she will have one in her hand until we leave. Anyway, Lovie bought this adorable sweater for her at a craft fair several weeks ago and I had to show it to you! It's handmade.. and adorable, I think!
looking trendy in her Zara dress and boots!
Incase you forgot, she's 3. lolVal's ballet recital is tomorrow.. be prepared for pics and hopefully video!! :)
Monday, December 15, 2008
This is a special photo. The chair is a family heirloom and his shamrock blanket was bought for him in Ireland while Ali was pregnant! His name is Irish, as his parents are both Irish as well.Gotta get those tootsies ;) I remember when Valerie's foot was exactly the length of my thumb. Eleanor's was never that small as she came out 2 weeks later. Ah how they grow.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Friday, December 5, 2008
We are heading out to the tree lighting/Santa's arrival on base. Enjoy your weekend!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? For Christmas I like to wrap presents so the kids have something to rip open. I like it to color coordinate also and it's harder to match gift bags.
2. Real tree or Artificial? I like the smell and idea of getting a real tree, but practically speaking we have a decent artificial. I also like to keep it up from Thanksgiving to New Years!
3. When do you put up the tree? day after Thanksgiving
4. When do you take the tree down? New Years.
5. Do you like eggnog? No! My husband does though!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? That's so hard. The very first thing that popped into my mind was a fisher price kitchen with all the play food. I think I played with it for a couple years. Either that or I always asked for a new doll of some sort.
7. Hardest person to buy for? my husband's siblings
8. Easiest person to buy for? my kids
9. Do you have a nativity scene? yes, it's a knock off version of the willow tree simple set. I'd eventually like to have that.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? mail of course!
11.. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? There is no such thing!
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Christmas Vacation! gotta love Chevy Chase. Love Actually is a very close 2nd.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? In October but I actually enjoy shopping during the holiday season with the crowds and stores decorated!
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas Present? not unless it was a duplicate
15. Favorite things to eat at Christmas? special xmas cookies or treats
16. Lights on the tree? Right now they are all white, non-blinking. Val asked for colored AFTER we decorated the tree, so next year maybe we'll just load it with colored lights like a big gumdrop!
17. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night
18. Do you travel or stay home at Christmas? changes every year. We are about done traveling for a loooong time though so if you want to see us, you can come to our new house next year!
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? of course! However I read Val Twas the Night before Christmas year round.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? angel. We got it at an antique shop in my hometown.
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Growing up we were allowed one gift on xmas eve, the rest xmas morning. I think here we are going to let them open new pj's and maybe slippers/socks every year on xmas eve and the rest on xmas morning.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Usually I'd just say the increased lines/crowds while shopping but this year it is being homesick for the USA!
23. What theme or color are you using? I don't really have a theme. Our tree has red cranberries in a grapevine garland and red ribbon swagged around it.. but my living room has red curtains so it's just that I like red ;) However we are fans of homemade noodle wreath ornaments and the silly hallmark ones as well.
24. Favorite food for Christmas dinner? This year I'm feeling like either italian (duh.. but like a lasagna or something) or mexican/enchilades. The last few times we were with my parents we went out for chinese before church. That would work too!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? a watch (Ellie flushed mine down the toilet in Rome), a new pr of boots, or some caleca dishes to replace my slowly chipping set I got at the market.
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Val dressed herself with striped tights and sparkle shoes. So Ellie had to wear a dress and sparkle shoes too. This drives my husband crazy, who already had El dressed.
Kylan and Valerie dancingEllie rocking out on Guitar Hero
oh that dorky husband of mine and Al
Hope yours was wonderful!