Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A Powell Update


Hi all--

I figured that I would write a little update post on our daily life as I haven't really done that lately.

The girls are doing really great. As many of you know (from facebook I think?) we had huge issues in June as we adjusted to having the girls share a room with bunk beds. They had been asking to do this for awhile and I thought, "No way, I don't want to deal with it." and then realized how invaluable it'd be to have a guest room right now as we had my Mom here for a couple weeks before the birth and were expecting Derrick's to come up afterwards. We figure that they can be separated later on and we'll give up the guest room when they are old enough to not actually like sharing, but for now they actually really do! The problem was that they were having SO much fun, they weren't sleeping! So a quick update on that- we eventually nipped it in the bud by putting them to bed later. I am in general, a huge stickler for bedtimes and kids getting adequate rest, as their behavior reflects how much rest they are getting.. but we all had to have our sanity back. It's hard in the summer when it's still light outside at 9pm and they usually go to bed at 8! So now it's closer to 9, and they quiet done super quick.

They are adjusting well to being big sisters. They are little mommies in their own way and I have to watch as they are sometimes a little *too* helpful. This morning I found Valerie on the couch with Madeline on her lap, only to realize she had taken her out of the swing and carried her over to the couch by herself!! EEK!!! Luckily, she supports her head, but I about had a heart attack.

They both want to do ballet this fall and Valerie starts preschool next month. We are eager for them to have a little structure again.

Madeline is doing really well. She was back at birth weight at 2 weeks on the nose and is still breastfeeding beautifully. In general she sleeps well although I've had a few nights of being up for atleast an hour or two at 3 or 4am which is a bit hard to deal with when your 2 year old wakes up at 6:15 some days. Maddie is a really happy baby who just loves to be cuddled, and definitely can tell when she's not with the family. Gone are the days of eating hot meals, but I was used to that with the other two. We just adore her though and I honestly feel complete with our 3rd little girl!

As for D and I, that's about all the new stuff we can handle right now. I'm slowly working on my photography again but don't have much time to deal with the business side of it yet (getting my site together and all of that stuff). I am struggling to find my balance of holding/nursing Maddie, giving the other two play time and keeping the house remotely put together.. let alone putting activities in there or anything else! Derrick is a huge help to me and I am so blessed that he is an active Dad, although I think that should be a given for any Dad, not an exception!

We have been trying to do a photo shoot at a park for atleast a week now but every time we prep the baby is either super cranky that night, it starts pouring rain, D gets off work too late,etc. lol SO we'll see.. some time I will actually get her birth announcements out. :) Hope all is well. Here are a few random pics from the last couple days.



2 comments:

Fit Dani said...

LOVE those FEET.

Aunt Kathy said...

I enjoy reading and looking at the pictures!! The feet are too cute as I still have you x-mas card on the fridge and there are feet there, too.....:P:

Kiss the girls for me!:-)