Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weekend Update

It was about time for a date night. Derrick has actually been pretty stressed at work lately as he's taken over a platoon of guys and he is just swamped with paperwork and people coming and going off the team. He just left for London yesterday and is meeting with some big whigs for a few days. SO we were all about relaxing together this weekend with the family and to the Khaki Ball!

For those not in the military, the Khaki Ball is the night when all of the guys who moved up in rank to a Chief get to celebrate. The current chiefs and their spouses go as well. It is the end to a 6? week process of training, extremely late nights and even earlier mornings,etc. We went through that when Derrick was promoted and it was definitely a night to celebrate! Being a chief is a pretty big deal as they now wear the khaki uniform that officers/upper enlisted wear, hence it's title, Khaki Ball.
It isn't really a "ball" as we think of Cinderella. It's in a nice Italian hall, though very small, and includes a 3 course dinner. They give a few speeches and play a slide show of photos of the guys and then by about 11pm everyone heads out to dance outside on the patio to a DJ. We left after dinner because it was already 11 and I had to sing in church the next morning! It was really nice to sit and laugh with my husband over dinner, which we don't do often enough.
Here are a few pics shot right before we left from my babysitter in front of my kitchen window. Pay no attention to my horrible hair cut and color at the present time. It's a growing frustration of mine to get my hair cut by someone who does not speak english! I think I am seriously going to have Derrick cut it from now on. He does a better job. (seriously!)



Other than that we hung out and got some house stuff done, let the kids "rike bikes" around the neighborhood. As you can see Val uses her feet because she is still too short for a tricycle supposedly built for a 2 year old. I should get dinner going. ciao for now!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

again... this looks like a scene from our house :) We have the same wagon and Parker has to use his legs to ride his bikes. He can peddle, he just prefers going the "Flintstone" route ;)

Love your dress!!!

Melissa Ann Rodgers said...

LOVE your dress....your one hot mama!!

The girls are total dolls like always!

Deb Coe said...

Wow! You two look great in those photos! Cute dress, and from what I can see, your hair looked cute too!!

Love the pics of the kids - it always surprises me when I am reminded how tiny Val is! Like that pic of her on Derrick's back in Venice, and how all the other kids tower over her in ballet class, and her not being able to reach the pedals on the tricycle..... but then she is really a BIG girl in her spirit and her abilities. Just makes her so much more adorable, in my eyes!!

;)

Jennifer Aitchison said...

you super cute sexy thing you !!!!!

I am loving your blog over sips of tea. It's like a book I am reading and every once in a while I skip ahead to peek at the pics and then go back to reading. LOL

Benjamin is in a phase right now where he is really opinionated... although something tells me this is not a phase but in fact a forever. LOL Anyway, he decides that he wants to go outside or take a bath or that I cannot be anywhere near the computer and thats IT or I fear his wrath. LOL ok, maybe it is not that bad. Actually it is kind of exciting to suddenly be learning more about this little Man of mine. What he really likes or dislikes. You know what I mean? Anyway, it has made me slow with correspondence, but I want to say thank you for sharing your beautiful blog with me. I am really enjoying it.

So much love to you,
Jen