Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Little update

Hello! I haven't had too much time to update lately. I still have a few days left of Germany to blog plus the end of our trip in Venice.

Things here have been really picking up lately as the school year has started and we are getting back into a routine. It has been hectic at times but I feel that we all thrive a bit more with some structure. Derrick should be around for awhile other than very short trips here and there. He isn't expecting to deploy again (as of now) so that's great!

I have been pretty active in our chapel life here; however, I'm finding it rewarding. I think the key is to make sure you are doing what God designed you for. I've been reading this book, Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado in which he talks about living in your "sweet spot." If you're doing what you love, and what God Designed you for, that spot where those two things merge is the sweet spot. I think I've finally gotten closer to figuring out what that is. It's hard at times to say no to the other things but in doing so, you have more time for those things that you love and feel fulfilled. We only live once, right!? Better be happy!

So for me I'm enjoying singing with our church's praise team as well as leading praise and worship for PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel). I am also leading a bible study which just kicked off yesterday. We're doing a study titled, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.
It is about learning how to let go of all of the 'to-do's' in order to reprioritize the way we should and make time for our faith. I think we can all use that lesson! I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited to start it!

Other than that I'm really trying to learn more and more about photography, always trying to better my photos. I've also been cooking a lot of new recipes lately. I've learned since moving to Sicily (and therefore having no quick take out,etc.) that I really love to cook. I have become a bit addicted to cookbooks.

Valerie is definitely growing and having the most hilarious conversations these days.. sometimes to us and sometimes to herself. I can completely appreciate age 3 as she really understands logical explanations much more these days. I was just telling my friend April that discipline gets easier at this stage as well because you can finally use the rewards system instead of having to simply redirect or use time outs. Valerie understands that if she's a good girl at the store she gets to have 10 minutes of computer time or use my rubber stamps,etc. She also understands that it can be (and has been) taken away. It makes it a little less stressful and we have less tantrums these days with her. She is such a big girl and I'm so proud of her. Preschool starts next Tuesday, as well as ballet! aackck. I'm already a minivan driving, carting the kids around mom and she's only 3! She'll do both preschool and ballet on tues/thurs, which are also the days of pwoc, praise team practice, and so forth. SO I am hoping to stay home MWF for the most part! Valerie currently loves: dancing/ballet, princess stuff, dogs, stamping/painting/coloring, anything related to school (such as workbooks, learning to write,etc.), & cooking

As for Eleanor, she's definitely starting to grow into her own personality and make her place known in our family. She is a little dare devil and can commonly be seen with a huge lump on her head. Derrick told her if she jumps off our bed again (or chair, or couch, or ___) he's going to make her wear a bike helmet 24/7! She repeats a lot of what I say now and nods her head and says "yeah." when you ask her questions. This morning I asked her what she wanted for breakfast and she said, "how about... um" just like Valerie does whenever I ask her. too funny.
Ellie currently loves: Elmo, any and all shoes, climbing things, dancing to music, dog-GEES, swinging, necklaces, and her obsession- blankey's.

Derrick is currently pretty busy at work but much less stressed than he has been in the last two years. It is nice to not be anticipating another deployment as the mind set is very different. You tend to distance yourselves from each other, which obviously isn't good for a marriage. I am enjoying my time with him so much and we've been trying to squeeze in a date night every other weekend.

Other than that we are just awaiting orders. We are trying to work out something with April and Brian (our good friends) in Chicago but it's all about timing, as usual. We should know very soon. I will keep you posted!

have a great rest of the week!

No comments: